10 Reps in each Set
Set 1:
Sitting on couch holding pot low
when I put it on the floor I got a paw so backed up to having it off the floor for a few more reps
Set 2:
I moved to the floor thinking it may be easier with me closer to the pot when I placed it on the floor.
Still holding it slightly above the floor I added the cue 'Use Your Nose' as he was offering the behavior.
Set 3:
I was still sitting on the floor and after a couple reps with the cue I put it on the floor and got a quick paw motion then the nose. I don't want to get 'superstitious behaviors' (paw then nose) so I dropped the cue and held it up a bit. I also let him eat out of the pot (which besides that in itself being a reward he did easily get more than one treat).
Set 4:
I slowly lowered the pot to the floor. Since I had a solid few seconds duration, I would wait until he solidly on it with his nose and then move my hands away a little. I'm hoping that will give him the picture to use his nose even on the floor.
I have a couple of thoughts. I am tempted to suggest that you make it even easier and hold the pot right in front of Nad's nose to touch, just the very same way we initially teach Level 1 Target. No cue. Not on the floor. No duration. Simply "touch the pot with your nose".
ReplyDeleteThen, the reason I slowly added duration here was to give Lily just a little more time to get a whiff of the scent.