Sunday, August 26, 2012

Nose Work - Day 1

After taking some time off and getting some much needed input from Sue, Nad and I have started once again.  Sue had said that Nad was doing a 'trick' of putting his nose/chin on the scent pot.  We are starting over with kibble on the floor and starting to play hide-n-seek with the kibble like she did with Syn. 

We started with Nad sitting 5' away from me, I put a treat on the floor and told him to 'find it'.  I would reset him in between each repetition.   I then started moving the treat around so he would have to look for it.  Then I would put him in a sit or send him in his kennel in the other room and start over so he would have to come into the room and find the kibble.  From there we went to putting the kibble just out of sight in an easy place so he could start to use his nose.

I have noticed that Nad is a very literal dog.  If it is one place previously, he will go back there directly and start looking from there (even if it means going by where the treat is tucked away).  We will spend some time on this step bungeeing where the treat is.  I want to always make this fun for him.  He is still working on totally getting the concept.  Does he get it sometimes....yes.  Does he understand it.....no, not yet.

I even had him lay on his mat and watch one of my other dogs happily sniff around the room looking for a piece of hidden kibble.

We had 3 short sessions today.  

We will continue where we are tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment