Scenting for fun – Day 2
Again we had a three sessions.
SESSION 1:
Nad would be reset out of the room while I hid kibble
Called in and asked to ‘Find It’
Placed kibble in different places in same room (now placing
behind legs of furniture and under the edges of dog beds, etc.).
On the first session, Nad got stumped a couple times and I
would happily reset him outside and move the kibble to an easier place and
start over.
SESSIONS 2 & 3:
On the second and third session I used multiple pieces of
kibble and also started taking turns with Samantha, my older English Shepherd
who loves the game. I had Nad lay on his
bed in the room while Samantha went out.
I would plant the kibble for Samantha with Nad watching and then call
Samantha in to ‘Find It’. He watched as
she sniffed all parts of the room to find the kibble. He got treated on his bed when she found the
kibble. Then I had Samantha lay on the
bed while Nad went out while I placed the kibble. I noticed Nad’s enthusiasm go up as she
watched him.
Start with big stinky things - a quarter of a hot dog - that will reach out and grab him. That makes the biggest impression on handler AND dog. Think of the tea bag that YOU could almost smell when you walked in the room (don't use a tea bag, but use food that does the same thing) as opposed to a tiny pot of cold tea over in the corner that was brewed last night (my take on kibble). Then get harder and harder as he goes along.
ReplyDelete