Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Scent Pot: Day 5 (intro Tea Bag)

I wet an Earl Grey tea bag by opening the packet and adding distilled water into it and letting is soak for a few seconds then put in into an open baggie in the container I had originally had cut up log in.  The past few days I had used it empty.

I decided to go straight with the tea bag as I thought that starting with food and then changing may be confusing as food has such an instinct to go to.

**I was sitting and presenting the pots at nose level.  When there was one pot, it was in front of him, then moving to different positions on either side.  When I presented 2 pots, they were at nose level in front and on either side of his nose.  

SESSION 1:

Set 1:  10 reps - presented only the one scent pot with the tea bag

Set 2:  10 reps presented only the one scent pot with the tea bag

Set 3:  4 reps with only the one scent pot with the tea bag
           4 reps added addition empty scent pot - got 3 in a row correct / 1 incorrect
           opened up the pot so he could smell the tea
           4 reps with only the one scent pot with the tea bag

I think it was a fluke that he got the scent pot with the tea bag the first 3 times that 2 were presented.
I have not asked him to use his nose on anything previously.  He doesn't have any concept that smelling is what I'm asking for at this point.
    
   
SESSION 2:

*Started by opening the scent pot with the tea and letting him smell it.

Set 1:  10 reps - first 5 presented one pot; 2nd 5 presented two pots - same position - 9/10 correct

Set 2:  10 reps - 2 pots; first 5 in same position; 2nd 5 mixed position - 3/5 correct in mixed position

Set 3:  10 reps -2 pots mixed.  4 correct/1 wrong/3 correct/ 1 wrong 1 correct

Set 4:  12 reps - 2 pots mixed - 10 correct responses.

On the last set I thought he was starting to get it.  We'll see, I still think he's trying to figure out exactly what I am asking for.


SESSION 3:

*used fresh hydrated tea bag

Set 1:  10 reps- on 3rd rep I heard him sniff the pots.  Missed a couple. After 5th, let him sniff the tea. 7/10 correct>

Set 2:  10 reps - Got 3 correct from first 5 so went back to single for the remaining 5

Set3:  10 reps - 7/10  correct.  At this point making sure that the position I am holding them isn't a cue

Set4:  10 reps - Missed 4 in the middle and noticed that his ear was turned towards the door.  6/10 correct.







 





1 comment:

  1. A training question:

    Do you have a criteria pre-set in your mind? A certain success percentage to indicate when to go back to the previous step and stay there?

    ReplyDelete